Things to do in Summer
There are lots of things to do in in the area in summer:
- Walks along Les Bisses - follow the routes of old water courses, a number of which are accessed via chairlift. The walks are of various lengths to suit all walkers – and all offer fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and countryside.
- Walk to Le Lac Bleu – a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains which is a very popular picnic spot.
- Visit Mont Fort – the mountain can be reached by cable car from Siviez and provides a wonderful panoramic view of the Valais Haute including the Dents du Midi, Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn.
- Visit the Lac Souterrain de St-Léonard – near Sion, Europe’s largest subterranean lake.
- View the Grand Dixence Dam – at the head of the Val d’Herens and only accessible in summer. This is the tallest gravity dam in the world. You can ride to the top of the dam by cable car – and also take a tour of the interior.
- Visit Zermatt and the Matterhorn – drive to Zermatt and take a cable car up to the summit of a local mountain giving wonderful view of the Matterhorn
- Go Mountain biking – there are lots of great mountain bike trails locally and bikes can be taken on many of the mountain lifts. Bikes can be rented locally.
- Parc Aventure in Sion – an adventure park in the trees with zipwires and other climbing features at Domaine des Iles in Sion. It is beside a lake with lovely bathing – great for cooling off after all your exertions. A really pleasant place to spend a day.
- Visit old Sion – there are many wonderful old buildings and interesting shops in old Sion. On Friday mornings there is a market with lots of local produce and crafts.
- Visit the Châteaux in Sion – Château de Tourbillion and Château de Valère. Both chateaux are open to the public, and offer lovely views of the surrounding valley and mountains.
- Wine tasting - Sion is at the centre of one the best wine-growing region in Switzerland. Visit one of the many local vineyards to taste some great wine.
- Play tennis – tennis rackets and balls are provided in the chalet. The courts are only 2 minutes drive away.
In addition, there are many beautiful walking trails nearby.